Will I ever make it home....
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
"Ama"
That's what I called you. But no more.

How come I try to purge you and your memories, but I can't? You're like a bad sequel to a horror movie. I can't kill you off! You keep coming back. And back. And back.

I want to forget you. I want to not be like you. But each day that we grow further apart, and I further disrespect you, I turn into you more and more.

This scares me. I see your reflection in the mirror. I hear your voice when I speak. I try to be different from you. But I laugh like you. I smile like you. I cry like you, with my fists on my face, hot tears streaming from my eyes In the dark, alone in the bathroom so no one will hear. I speak like you. It's as though your vocal cords where in place of mine. Your cold empty eyes stare back at me, when I look into the mirror. I try to turn away. I paint my face to disguise our likeness. But I end up looking like you. I dyed my hair black to be distanced from you. I cut it short. I do all the things you hate that I do. I have tattoos. I don't wear dresses or heels.

I am trying so hard to be different from your unapproachable nature, that I have forgotten who I was. I still can hear you whisper in my ear. I can still remember your hugs, so unaffected and distant. Your facade of being such a wonderful person. Your lies tumbling from your mouth. Your dysfunctional way of loving. How you always said you wish I were dead.

Well, I almost am. Where are you now? I live so far away from you. And I still can't cut that spiritual umbillical cord that binds us. I can't seperate our souls. I owe you nothing, and yet you still becon me. Constantly. You haunt my dreams. Your face dances in the sea of unrecognizable places.

"Ama, te quiero. Voy a tratar de ser mejor."

Why did I always try so hard to make you see that I was worthy of your love?

"Mis ojos."

I never was. Never will be. I am not like you. But I am you. I remember your hard fist on my face. Your hot slaps on my cheek, if I so much as sighed wrong. The glass crashing on my head. The broom stick hitting my back. I never could look you in the eyes. I feared you. Yet, I always wanted to be like you. I watched you. Emulated your every sway and breath. And now, I am trying to forget all those ghostly things. I try to act as though you are dead. I am orphaned.

I remember your perfumes. Your make-up. Your soaps and lotions. And your marvelous clothes. Your 500 pairs of shoes. Your jewelry. I guess I am like you in some ways. But in others I will never be the daughter you wanted. I was too wild, too timid. Too quiet. Too talentless for you. You craved more. And I had nothing to satisfy your hunger for it. I will always be a disappointment to you.

"I'm proud of you!"

No, you're not. You never were. You say these things like you want to mean them. But you never do. I see the disappointment lingering in your eyes. I can still see it from 1600 miles away. I hear your voice dripping in it when you call.

I have to purge you.

I do. It aches me. I see myself being cold with him. I don't want to be the cadaverous person you were. I will never get a second chance, and neither will you.

Thank you.

For making me realize how much I missed out on.
For making me vulnerable to unsuitable relationships.
For making me runaway to where I am.
For making me try to be a better ama than you were.
For making me see what it is to be a child through my own child's eyes.

I am not a mistake. I am not too wild. I am none of those things that you chided me for. I will never slap my child on his cheek for sighing at me. I will never break a glass on his head. I will never beat him with a broom stick. Or tell him that he was a mistake. That I wished I had an abortion instead of having to deal with him. Maybe that is why I may be a pushover. I don't want to be the forceful mess you were.


Since I was never good enough for you, maybe someone else will come along to help me get there.

I want to be good enough.

Good enough for Gabe.
posted by The Devil @ 9:31 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: The Devil
Home: Somewhere in, Texas, United States
About Me: I'm a young mom, who stresses out far too much.
See my complete profile
Dear Diary
Past Indiscretions
Shoutbox

"Before you do anything, think. If you do something to try and impress someone, to be loved, accepted or even to get someone's attention, stop and think. So many people are busy trying to create an image, they die in the process."-Salma Hayek

The Ones I Adore
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER